Orga meeting - planning 2020
Time & Location
About the Event
1. What’s happening in the world?
- Threat of war with Iran
- Bush Fires in Australia
- UK post-election
2. Our “normal” meetings
are on the fourth Monday of each month. We just decided to put forward a meeting on the Australian bushfires. This means that the schedule looks now like this:
- 27 January - Bush fire catastrophe. Why is Australia burning? with Australian environmentalist/socialist Clare Peterson and possible someone else (we’re working on it)
- 24 February - Visiting a Bangladeshi Clothing factory - or why there is not ethical consumption under capitalism with Tekle Selargrew
- 23 March – borders (speaker(s) not booked yet)
- 27 April – Social Movements in Latin America with Tomas Uson (who’ll be just back from Chile and Peru)
- Are we still ok with this plan?
- Are there any subjects we need to discuss urgently (eg India, Iran)
- Which speakers / exact subjects do we want for the missing meeting?
3. Public meeting on Golden Dawn and the NSU
This will be on Saturday 7th March in Karl-Liebknecht Haus, and will probably be a joint meeting with the LAG Antifa. It will be in German. The LINKE Berlin LAG Antifa will be organising this with us and we have agreed on the following speakers: - Thanassis Kampagiannis (lawyer in the case against Golden Dawn) - speaker from Cologne active against the NSU (organised by LAG Antifa) - Ferat Kocak Antigoni will do the moderation We have set up a chat group with Phil, Dimitra, Antigoni, Ferat and some members of the LAG Antifa. The main organisation of the meeting will take place on this chat group. If you would like to be added, please contact Phil
4. Meeting at the LINKE Neukölln Conference, 21 March
We have been asked to organise a workshop at this conference. Contact partner is Antigoni
Our suggestion is that we tie the meeting with the strategy debate which is currently being held in die LINKE, with a title something like: “Strategies for the International Left”
UPDATE: after further discussions, we are now suggesting the following speakers: - Mario Candeias (rosa luxemburg stiftung) - waiting for confirmation - Carmela Negrete (Spanish journalist) on the Left in coalition governments - confirmed - Kristina Hinz (LINKE Internationals) on socilaism and feminism in Latin America - waiting for confirmation
None of these suggestions is final, and we have the opportunity at the Orga meeting to suggest changes
5. LINKE Strategy Debate
This year, there is a Strategy debate going on in die LINKE about which way forward. There will be a conference in Kassel on 29 February / 1 March. We would like to be part of the debate
- Who would like to go to the Kassel conference?
- We would like to organise a special meeting for the LAG in March/April to report back from Kassel and discuss our role in the debate
- When should this meeting take place?
- At the meeting we’d also like to discuss motions to the next LINKE Berlin party conference and (re-)elect our conference delegates and speakers. What do we need to do now?
6. Week-end Conference
In the second half of 2020 we are planning to organise a conference on what social movements across the world can learn from each other
A concept for the conference is available in English and German at https://www.theleftberlin.com/conference-agenda (where there are discrepancies, the German document is more up-to-date
We would like to send this concept to the rosa luxemburg stiftung this week in an application for funding. Does anything need to be changed before we send it off?
Who would like to be part of the group preparing the Conference?
7. Our Website
Report-back from the meeting of our Web team on 5th January
- Antony’s suggested designs for our stickers are online at https://www.theleftberlin.com/hidden-page . What do we like? What would we change?
9. Content vs Activist There's been a discussion on our chat group about the balance between getting involved in local actions and theoretical work. If we have the time this evening, we'd like to carry on this discussion at the orga meeting
10. Anything else?
- Summer Camp in Hermsdorf, 18-19 July
- Signing up LAG members
- possible benefit for Australia
- Meeting with Iraqi activists / possible public meeting
- Film showing: Taste of Cement (with Anti-Colonial film group)
- Meeting with Sudanese activists
- Working with Indian activists
- Meeting of Egyptian activists