11:00 - 20:00
After the success of the first Left Journalism Day School organised by The Left Berlin in November 2021, by popular demand we are holding the event again with new workshops and the addition of a live radio broadcast in the evening.
Getting radical and progressive ideas across to a wide audience is more important than ever. What are the skills we need to create articles, videos and radio programmes that engage people and help build our movement?
The Left Berlin invites you to the Left Journalism Day School. This is your chance to develop practical skills in journalism in a fun and relaxed environment. Whether you are already involved in a left media project, or have never written an article before, this event is for you.
All sessions are hands-on and will be led by journalists and media professionals. We will learn how to produce articles, videos and podcasts that can actually be published on The Left Berlin or elsewhere. We will also collectively produce an episode of Radio Berlin International, our radio show which will be broadcast in the evening live on reboot.fm 88.4 MHz in Berlin and worldwide online at http://reboot.fm.
The Day School is also intended to be a chance for people interested in left journalism – whether as part of the editorial collective of The Left Berlin, or another project – to get to know each other. Lunch will be provided and there will be plenty of time for breaks.
Provisional Timetable (subject to change)
|10:45 – 11:00||
Registration & Coffee
|11:00 – 13:30||
Choice of one of the following workshops:
|How to make a video for social media||How to record and edit a field report for radio||Third option TBC|
|13:30 – 14:30||
|14:30 – 15:50||
How to do an interview
|15:50 – 16:10||
|16:10 – 17:00||
Storytelling and research tricks
|17:00 – 17:20||
|17:20 – 17:40||
Best ways of communication with each other
|17:40 – 18:00||
Report Back from Morning Workshops & Wrap-Up
|18:00 – 18:30||
Discussion: What are our ambitions for The Left Berlin in the next 12 months?
|18:30 – 19:00||
|19:00 – 20:00||
Live radio broadcast: Radio Berlin International on reboot.fm 88.4 MHz
What You Need
- Bring a laptop computer if you have one. Don’t forget your charger.
- You don’t need any prior knowledge or experience, just an interest in learning how to produce left journalism that reaches an audience.
- The event will take place in a large and well-ventilated indoor space. We are adhering to the 2G rule, meaning you must bring evidence of being fully vaccinated or recovered from Coronavirus. In addition, we encourage everyone coming to take a test in advance. A limited number of self-tests will be available at registration.
- Let us know you’re coming by pressing the Register Now button at the top of this page.
- Attendance is free, but we encourage a donation of €5 to help cover room costs.